Thursday, December 11, 2008

Introductions...

This is my dog. Although this is the first time you've seen him here he is the subject of a TON of my pictures. There are two things that make this a nice shot. The first is the positioning. He as ths subject isn't just centered looking at the camera. It looks like something is going on in the photo and a moment was captured. The other thing is that I got down close to his level to take the picture. It doesn't seem like much, but try it. Take a photo from standing over a smaller subject, then take the same picture from it's level or slightly higher if you want to see depth behind the subject. You'll definatly see a difference.

Settings:
Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperture: f/5
Focal Length: 80 mm
ISO Speed: 640

You might wonder why I'm putting the camera settings on all of my posts here. Well two reasons, the first of which is that I'm still pretty new at taking pictures and I've found when asking professionals that they can look at the picture and give me feedback on the problems with light and such, but when I can show them settings with it the feedback is much more detailed. So the settings are there for any visitors that want to give feedback such as, "hey that's a pretty good photo, but if you set your settings to this it could have a pretty cool effect in that situation.

The second reason for the settings is to help others that are trying to learn to take pictures. Hopefully as more pictures go up it will be easier to see how the settings affected the picture so others might get a better idea of what to try if they are having problems.

For this post I'll talk about the Camera Setting:

Camera - ya that's the hardware being used to take the picture, not a big deal buf if your thinking of getting a new camera and you want to see some sample images from this camera....here you go. I really like my camera and I think it's a great mix of highend/lowend.

Like I said I'm new at this so going and spending money on the top of the line camera would be great if I had it, but this camera has the software of the highest end Cannon cameras so it does a fantastic job of rendering the digital image quickly and well. It has a smaller sensor inside the camera than the highest end cameras. That means it will take nice pictures but the higher end cameras have an advantage to getting a sharp picture, especually in less than ideal conditions, but it makes this camera much less expensive yet still really nice. Another thing I like about this camera is that all the lenses and extra bits I get to help me take a nice picture will work on higher and lowerend cannon cameras so I only have to make the investment once and I can upgrade or downgrade cameras later if I find I'm getting more or less into photography. Nikon have the same thing, I just chose Cannon because at the time this model was new and better than it's equvilent price range Nikon counterpart.

No comments: